Weavers Way Environment Committee’s Terracycle project has been accepting recyclable items during the COVID-19 pandemic and will continue to do so. The collection bins are located in the following locations:
- Mt. Airy: 555 Carpenter Lane (look for sign in window) midway on the left of the meeting room.
- Chestnut Hill: At front of the store next to the ATM machine (sign on window).
- Ambler: Outside in front of the store near the EV charging station.
Cooperator shifts were halted from March through July, but they resumed on August 27 with our sorting and boxing shift. These shifts take place from 10 a.m.-noon on the fourth Thursday of the month at the Share Food Program warehouse at 2901 W. Hunting Park Ave.
Members can sign up for shifts in the Member Center of the Co-op’s website. Masks are required. Plastic gloves and hand sanitizer will be provided, and arrangements are being made to enable appropriate distancing.
Terracycle periodically adds or closes a recycling program, which can be frustrating to all. Notices of these changes will be placed in the Co-op’s eNews editions and will be taped to the top of the bins. Copies of the list of accepted items are available on the bulletin boards in each store.
If you go onto the Terracycle website, you may find programs that we are not offering. Our Terracycle project joins programs for products that may be sold by the Co-op, are consistent with the Co-op’s environmental philosophy, and that offer points that we are able to redeem for funds that support the Environment Committee’s programs.
We appreciate the continued interest and participation of everyone who has been making use of the project. Last year, we shipped 435.4 pounds of recyclables to Terracycle that otherwise would have ended up in a landfill.
The most up-to-date list of items we can accept is below:
- BRITA filters, pitchers, packaging (filters must be dry)
- Dental products (All brands): old toothbrushes (no electric), empty toothpaste tubes, floss containers, mouthwash bottles and Colgate Wisps
- All Burt’s Bees and Tom’s of Maine products
- ACURE Skincare and personal care products and packaging (New Program)
- Plastic razors and packaging (all brands)
- Lundberg Family Farms packaging and food wrappers (New Program)
- Wellness and Open Farm brand pet food bags and pouches (These brands only)
- North Coast brand applesauce pouches
- Go Go Squeeze brand pouches
- Once Upon a Farm Organic baby food pouches (New Program)
- Calbee Harvest Snaps and Popper Duos bags (New Program)
- Late July brand chip/snack Bags (this brand only)
- Entenmann’s Little Bites snack bags